Monday, June 16, 2014

Not A Fault In Sight

I'm a book hoarder. I spend ridiculous amounts of money on pastel bound books and stack them away for that library I am determined to have in my future abode. I read all of them of course, most interest me enough to finish, some are so disappointing and dull I practically have to force myself to read line after line. In any case, I still keep them for my large and random collection. Then there are a sparse few books I come upon that make my senses metaphorically water for the taste of the well written word. I treasure these novels of pure gold, rereading them constantly until I can recite the whittiest of lines. You want to know how I determine what's written well, what can truly be deemed as a GOOD book in my eyes? I don't read- I absorb the words on the page, can hear the dialogue, can literally feel the emotion clenching in the pit of my stomach, in my heart. This is all utterly embarrassing to admit out loud, emphasizing the true geek I am, but I am well over it. When I read a chest clutching, life changing book, I want everyone to read it as well- to see if they feel the heart break, the anger, the joy that the author literally hands you on a silver platter. All this ranting about my weird book fetishes has a point, in which I am about to make clear. I have three favorite books, ones I can recite because I've drooled over their words in absolute obsession. 
To Kill A Mockingbird: a classic that will forever stand the test of time. I clearly remember the overall disgust people in my class had for the book, while I found it absolutely breathtaking and explained that there is good in all people.
The Giving Tree: a child's book nonetheless, but with such a moral significance in it's few pages. I cherish my copy, always tearing up whenever I crack open the pages and get a glimpse of the dilapidated tree, her life spent loving a human boy.
If I Stay: A book I've abused over the years from the amount of continuous page turning. Coincidentally, it's being made into a movie in which I won't be seeing because it's already perfectly real in my head.
Then there is the newest addition to my prestigious list, the center piece of this whole post, a book I finished in a span of three hours, just minutes ago. The Fault In Our Stars is a popular novel that has taken the world by storm. It seemed over done and overrated, a basic white girl magnet, not to mention god damn depressing. I wasn't going to indulge in a mainstream novel that would put me on suicide watch- no thanks. Yet, I'm weak and indugled in a brand new copy. Upon my doubts, guess what? My stomach lurched, I giggled and idiotically smiled to myself, felt tears prick at the back of my eyes. I physically hurt, felt everything John Green (the astonishing author) had put into words. I'm not going to spoil a thing, not even going to elaborate. All I know is that I read this masterpiece and instantly connected it with this: Although life is not infinite, love can last for eternity. I was taken aback my the fact that a book could bring such deep thought and appreciation to an audience. The message within the words opened my eyes not only as a reader, but as a writer. I hope to one day release work of my own that envelopes the hearts of those who read it, makes them ponder on great thoughts like love, life, and death. For that is true writing, the power to make people feel greatly in the simplest of ways- the closest thing we have to magic. 


No comments:

Post a Comment